Well, today was an interesting installment in the continuing saga of the Quest for Shire. Mary and I went to check out a Shire-Clydesdale cross mare. We spent quite a bit of time there and came away with the following conclusions:
- She is a very pretty horse.
- She is a green horse.
- She is a very affectionate horse once she gets to know you.
- She doesn’t like her current owner, and her current owner is unaware of her horse’s dislike for her.
- Her current owner is, um, well, let’s just say that I think she has some issues.
- She is not worth even half of what the seller is asking simply because the horse is so green.
Even after all of that time spent with the horse, we still don’t know if she is rideable, as the seller wouldn’t go beyond longeing the mare with a saddle on her back. Yes, that’s right: the seller wouldn’t ride her own horse.