A fraudulent listing for a horse trailer has been appearing on craigslist all over the country in the last couple of weeks.
2000 Sundowner 3H slant load trailer – $2200
** Reply to: email@example.com ** 2000 Sundowner 3H slant load trailer with collapsible tack in back and large tack in front.Radial tires used for one haul across a few states.Ready to drive anywhere!Has 6 bridle hooks, a blanket bar, interior lights.The horse area is a step up, rubber mats, interior lights, rear loading lights, 3 roof vents, rubber lined walls, padded dividers, first horse escape door, collapsable rear tack with 3 swing out saddle rack.Steel frame with aluminum body. Owners manual included.Star Performance Hitch included.
This is a scam, and not a bad one at that. The price is very low for that make and model. But, there is no trailer. If you respond to the ad, you get this:
Hello I am Fred, sorry for my delay in response, but currently I work on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico and I have been very busy with my work. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the trailer. The total price for my 2000 Sundowner 3 Horse Slant Trailer is $2,200. I wanted to keep the trailer but I left the farm for a better job in Gulf of Mexico, so I decided to sell it. The trailer is in showroom condition, no liens; it was never involved in an accident.
So if you are interested please email me back so I can explain you how the transaction will work.
If you say you’re interested, you get this:
Before I left the city I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors so my presence in town isn’t necessary. The trailer is in their possession in Pittsburgh, PA ready for delivery. You will have 5 days to test drive and inspect the trailer. So if you want to make this deal I need the following information:
Your full name and address
Shipping address (street, city, zip code)
Then I will forward them to eBay Motors and I will precede the order. eBay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller.
Here is how this deal will work:
1. I will forward the details of our transaction to the eBay Buyer Protection.
2. They will process the paperwork and will email you the Payment Invoice and the transaction details.
3. You will have to submit the payment so you can prove that you are a serious buyer, as instructed to one of the eBay agents.
4. The payment will be verified and if everything is OK, eBay will deliver the vehicle to your address on my own cost. The vehicle will be shipped insured to your location with Dependable Auto Shippers.
5. After you receive it, you will have 5 days to inspect and test drive the vehicle (You will receive the trailer in 2 days).
6. If you accept the vehicle by confirming to eBay, they will release me the money (if not you will receive the full refund of the amount sent before shipping). They will then FedEx overnight the signed title to you and all the trailer documents that you need to register it under your name. If you decide to NOT accept the vehicle for any reason, they will refund your full payment price within 48 hours. They will then make the necessary arrangement to have the vehicle picked back up by the transport company.
Any bets as to what country “Fred” lives in? Nigeria, maybe?