Boas that do not constrict, I hope

I didn’t get out to see the boys Monday.  :-(

Today, however, I spent some good quality time grooming the big guy. I didn’t have to go chase Boulder, as Frankie told me when I got there that she was about to go bring the horses in. They are getting the horses used to their winter turnout schedule a little early this year, which makes it nice for me as the boys will get stalled around 1 p.m. or so most days after being out all morning. And  12:30 or 1:00 is about when I get out there most weekdays.

The boys both got their feet doctored, too. We continue to make progress against thrush. Bob was Roberto in his stall while I doctored his feet—I couldn’t ask for a better patient. Boulder did well until I got to his right front, which is the last foot that normally gets picked up. He just wouldn’t give me this foot, no matter what I did. After almost ten minutes of effort, I was soaked in sweat and close to giving up when he calmly lifted up his foot for me.

Boulder’s right front has consistently had the worst thrush all through this, and today that was very apparent. The other feet had no or minimal thrush smell and the black thrushy goo is mostly gone, but this one still stinks and is gooey. The collateral grooves are getting better, but the central groove is still badly infected, and has pocketed deeply into the bulbs. I have been carefully trying to clean the dead frog tissue out of the central groove, but it is quite tender. I soaked the area thoroughly in Blue-Kote, so we’ll see how it’s doing tomorrow. No wonder he didn’t want to give me his foot….

I also gave the boys what I hope is the last fly treatment for the season with EquiSpot. Boulder, being so big, gets two tubes of the stuff (per Dr. McGuire).

And I finally made a decision about boots for Boulder. I took a better tracing of his left front and then got out the tape measure to measure his actual feet. Then I called the folks at EasyCare back. When I told them the measurements, they said, nope; won’t work; sorry; call the people at HoofWings.

So I did. I spent 20 minutes chatting with Mary at HoofWings, who was very nice and very knowledgeable. She pretty much had me sold until she said that it would be 4-8 weeks before they shipped. I might have my new saddle before I got these boots. Wow. I didn’t see that I had much choice, as no one else makes large hoof boots that are suitable for riding on a variety of footings.

I picked up my stuff and headed for home to get ready for the SCF board meeting, which went well. We approved the budget for the new fiscal year, and we were able to tweak a few things to keep the cuts from being too bad.

After folks went home from the meeting, I sat down at the computer to consider my options for hoof boots one more time. I looked hard at the hoof tracings I had, the measurements, and what the EasyCare website said about sizing. Boulder’s left front is no problem in a Boa size 8, at 7-1/4″ wide by 7-1/2″ long. But his right front is almost 7-3/4″ wide (although the trimmer says that will slowly narrow up over the next few trims), which is just barely over the maximum width.

EasyCare boots have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, and they were in stock. So, I decided to hedge my bets and order the Boas. If they fit, then we’re set! If not, then I can call HoofWings back and get the 4-8 week order going—and send the Boas back for a refund.

They’ll be here Friday.

About Mike

Michael Heggen is a horseman, maker, and thinker who lives in Salem, Oregon with his wife, Kim, and "three to eight cats". He stays quite busy riding, driving, and caring for their three horses, Boulder, Shasta, and Bob. Among other things, Mike has been a fencing coach, police chaplain, computer consultant, aspirant to the diaconate, computer salesman, box boy, carpenter, computer technician, typesetter, church youth leader, copy machine operator, and network administrator. His other interests include juggling, reading voraciously, and (pretty occasionally these days) cycling.
This entry was posted in Boulder, Fencing, Horses, PA Protege ("Bob") and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Boas that do not constrict, I hope

  1. Mary says:

    What type of progress would you get if you don’t pick and probe so much- just generously soak the BlueKote into the affected areas? It might be a bit slower but you might get less discomfort. ?? Or, use a brush to get the surface of it off without poking into it?

  2. Mike says:

    Well, the point may be becoming moot. One side of the central sulcus is finally dry, and I can see the bottom of the cavity. Yay! The other side appears to be making progress, too (although it is still pretty nasty).

    I should have taken a photo…. Basically, he has two cavities in his frog where the central groove should be, and they are deep enough to stuff a marble (or two) into. They are deep enough that the Disgusting Black Goo of Thrushiness isn’t going to come out on its own, and that Goo is forming a barrier (I think) that is giving the bacteria a very nice anaerobic environment, as well as keeping the gentian violet from really getting to the source of the problem.

    See today’s blog entry for more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *